Monday 2 April 2012

Cheesy mashed potato and leeks

The protein for tonight's dinner was battered haddock fillets to cook in the oven. I looked at them in the box, decided they were a bit small for my hungry tribe, and thought I had better rustle up something pretty substantial as an accompaniment. Even better - I had only one pan to wash up afterwards.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I proudly present - cheesy mashed potato and leeks.

Cut 800g of (old) potatoes into even sized chunks and place in a pan of cold salted water. You can peel them if you like, but I seldom do. Chop 500g leeks into 2.5cm long pieces and add those to the pan. Turn the heat on, and bring to the boil.
Once the potatoes are tender, drain the pan, and add 20g butter, a heaped dessertspoon of low fat creme fraiche, about 120ml milk, 80g mature cheddar (grated) and 1 tbsp chopped chives.

Mash it all together roughly - it will be a fairly sloppy texture - and serve. Delicious, and goes very well with the haddock.

No comments:

Post a Comment