Monday 13 May 2024

Coronation Chickpeas (a year late)

 Ok, so it's now a year since Charles was crowned and I first heard of the concept of Coronation Chickpeas. It's somehow waited until now for me to try them. I certainly won't be leaving it long to make the next batch - it was yummy!

I looked at several recipes and settled on an amalgam of them with some tweaks of my own - I didn't fancy the raisins that many had in, and I felt some garlic would help things along tremendously. Next time I'll add some lemon juice and chopped coriander - I had intended to add those but they somehow never made it into the bowl.

Ingredients

Chickpeas - 1 can drained, or 125g dried, soaked, cooked and drained 

Mayo - 3 tbsp (vegan or not, as you wish)

2 cloves garlic, crushed

20g mango chutney

2 tsp curry powder (I used a mild Madras)

3 soft dried apricots, chopped into 5mm pieces 

Method

Mash 2/3 of the chickpeas roughly in a bowl. Add mayo, garlic, mango chutney, curry powder and apricots and stir well. Add the rest of the chickpeas and stir again. Add salt if you think it needs it.

If you're going to add a squeeze of lemon and some chopped coriander, this would be the time to do it, and stir again. 

Fab as a sandwich filling or on toast.

No comments:

Post a Comment