Sunday 25 March 2012

Beautiful Soup, so rich and green, Waiting in a hot tureen!

I've long been an Alice in Wonderland fan and returned to this masterpiece many times through my childhood and again in later years.

I've also long been an advocate of soup. Wonderful stuff. I have battled for years against a husband who likes Cup-a-Soup - which to my mind has all the nutritional value of over-salted wallpaper paste and is an abomination. But if he wants cup-a-soup, that's fine. I prefer not to pollute my body with such rubbish, and often make a cauldron full of soup at the weekend. Weekend lunch is generally soup and bread and cheese and things.

Today was a leek, cauliflower and potato soup day. It came out a delicate pale green colour (hence the Lewis Carroll quote) and was really rather good. Here's how I made it:

Into a large pan, melt 20g of butter and put 500g washed, trimmed and sliced leeks in. Stir the leeks around, keeping the pan partly covered so that they sweat rather than frizzle. While the leeks are sweating, peel and slice a couple of garlic cloves and add them to the pan, then fill up the kettle and then chop up a cauliflower (I used all of it except for a couple of the outside leaves which were a bit manky) and put that in too. Peel a couple of medium potatoes (about 250g), slice, and put them in as well, then add boiling water to not quite cover it all, crumble in a couple of vegetable Oxo cubes, and grind in some black pepper.
Let it simmer for about 20-25 mins until all is tender, then liquidise (I do like my hand blender which I can use in the pan to liquidise soup). Mix 50g skimmed milk powder with about 150ml water and add that as well, then check the seasoning.

Serve hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment