Saturday 24 March 2012

Chinese Wedding Cake

Well, that's how I've grown up hearing rice pudding referred to. Blame my father for that. I got grumbled at for buying too much milk at the supermarket on Thursday evening, so this seemed like the ideal opportunity to make a rice pudding. My boys are quite happy to eat rice pudding - home-cooked puddings are a rarity in this house, so they're grateful for any sort of home-make pudding, not like my fussy younger brother who I remember assuring my granny during a visit there about 35 years ago that he couldn't possibly eat rice pudding because he was allergic to it.

Following a quick walk down to the local shop (who sell pudding rice, bless 'em) I put the oven on to 150 degC, got an industrial-size lasagne dish out, and put 100g pudding rice and 85g of sugar in, plus a litre of semi-skimmed milk and a sprinkle of nutmeg. After a quick blast in the microwave (to bring the milk up to temperature) and a stir, it's now going to sit puddingifying in the oven for a couple of hours to get a lovely nutmeggy thick skin.

No comments:

Post a Comment